Dark shades in the summer are a great contrast against a bright color or a floral print. If you are really feeling bold, pair a dark bold lip against an all white dress or outfit for a dramatic statement.
Below are my favorite wine colored/dark matte lip colors that I wear everyday, while others I reserve for a night out or when I’m going for a dramatic look. They vary between liquid mattes, crayons, and pencils. At the bottom, there is a swatch with all the colors so you can see how they look.
1. Ulta’s Matte Lip Crayon, Soirée $8.00 USD goes on pretty smooth dries more as a gloss but it’s not that not glossy but also a Matte as well. Next, I apply Ulta’s Matte Liquid Lip Cream, Stirring $8.00 USD. I draw three lines at the bottom and then two at the top then put my lips together. I do this because I found when applying the Matte lip cream it’s better suited in my opinion with a base and it leaves such a pretty wine color. I call them “Thelma and Louise” because I wear these two together and I get the most compliments and questions about what color I am wearing and it’s a combination of two. The liquid matte dries really fast and lasts pretty long. Always check to see if you have any color on your teeth! No Bueno!
2. Nars Velvet Matte Lip pencil, Damned $26.00 USD. This is a cult favorite because it applies so smooth and can be worn day or night. I always get compliments when I wear this color. The only downside is that you do have to re-apply often after eating and such. You will need the large sharpener when it gets short and I recommend the NARS pencil sharpener.
3. Nars Velet Matte Lip pencil, Train Bleu $26.00 USD. Ladies if you want drama pick this one! It’s a deep plum that’s deeper than the Lipland Color and is really rich. This has a vampy vibe to it and if your going for a 90s grunge lip look this is a perfect color!
4. Katy Kat by Covergirl Matte lipstick, Maroon Meow $6.94 USD. This one I just purchased and I absolutely love it! It goes on really smooth and it’s not dry like other matte lipsticks I have tried before and it’s a great price. The color is similar to a wine color like my first example.
5. Amrezy Lipland collection, Montenegro $18.99 USD. This color is very deep and dramatic and it dries really quick! It’s great for an evening out or with all white ensemble. I would recommend lining my lips first with a pencil with a similar color like Nars Train Bleu to define and apply the lip color evenly.
Step on the wild side and go a little deeper with your lip shade the next time you go to a BBQ or a date night!